The man arrested in December 2015 for allegedly having sexual conduct with a minor under 11 according to jail records is due in court Thursday.
Armando Gonzalez is facing charges of sexual conduct with a minor.
According to a lawsuit filed against the Salvation Army, two women claim Gonzalez sexually abused them for years at the West Ashley location.
When one of the victims reported the abuse in October of 2015, Gonzalez confessed to years of sexual abuse at The Salvation Army and was subsequently charged and arrested, according to lawyers.
Court records state Gonzalez told law enforcement that he did not stop the abuse because the child “never said no.”
When the lawsuit was filed, the Salvation Army released a statement which said in part:
In October, 2015 a Salvation Army church member contacted The Salvation Army of Charleston corps officer and reported that a family member had been inappropriately touched in Sunday School class by another church member. Upon hearing the report, the Salvation Army corps officer immediately contacted law enforcement and encouraged the family to seek medical attention at the local hospital. In addition, The Salvation Army immediately banned the accused church member and family from Salvation Army properties and programs pending the outcome of the police investigation. The Salvation Army fully cooperated with law enforcement as they investigated the matter.
From the moment The Salvation Army heard the allegation, our first priority has been the care and well-being of those affected and their families. The Salvation Army guidelines do not tolerate sexual misconduct of any kind. We are committed to the safety of those we serve and will continue to refine our practices to ensure the safety of all who come through our doors.
Copyright WCSC 2017. All rights reserved.